SHUAA has been a pioneer in establishing new ground in providing new investment products, capital raising programs and disclosure and reporting standards of its own activities. It has no look-alike competitor as it has evolved to meet the needs of the markets it serves; however, within different business segments, it competes against different organizations, some regional and some global.
- SHUAA was one of the first organizations to gather regional investor funds to participate in private equity opportunities in MENA, but with the exception of a few smaller investments and the Saudi Hospitality Fund has exited this business line, which is now dominated by regional players and some participation from international groups.
- SHUAA established the first pan-Arab equity investment fund in 1999, the Arab Gateway Fund and now competes as an equity fund manager with a few regional and many international fund managers investing in Gulf markets and the UAE, but has established a track record of beating the related indices and winning awards for the last three years.
- SHUAA has been at the forefront of the UAE’s corporate finance and capital markets to deliver innovative or frame-breaking products to its clients. Examples are the NMC Health listing on the LSE in 2012, the first Abu Dhabi based company to list there; the US$4.963 billion IPO of DP World, the first sole listing of a Dubai-based Blue Chip government asset on NASDAQ Dubai (aka DIFX) and at the time, the largest IPO in the region; the AED 220,000,000 IPO of Arabtec in August 2004 which was the first conversion of an LLC into a PJSC in the UAE and first IPO of a contracting company in the UAE; the Air Arabia AED 2,566,700,000 March 2007 IPO, the first listing of an LLC in the Arab world; and the acquisition of significant stake of Al Noor Hospital by private equity, which set the stage for the public offering.
- SHUAA competes with global leaders and regional players in corporate finance and capital markets, but has a first-ranked position in leading and co-leading cumulative UAE IPOs since 2004.
- SHUAA initiated a regional investor confidence index in April 2009 which tracked local investor sentiment across six GCC markets until October 2010.
- SHUAA was one of the first to recognize the importance of the SME sector to the Gulf economy and to purchase and grow a major asset backed lender, Gulf Finance. In 2012 a sister institution in Saudi Arabia, offering Shariah compliant funding for SMEs in the Kingdom, was also set.